Front elevation of Episcopal Seminary of the SW-2008-Charles Black Library

Front elevation of Episcopal Seminary of the SW-2008-Charles Black Library

Interior of Charles Black  Library

Interior of Charles Black Library

Overdoor detail- Beaux arts detail

Overdoor detail- Beaux arts detail

Mantle detail in walnut

Mantle detail in walnut

Tudor style table by Mansbendel

Tudor style table by Mansbendel

Tudor table detail

Tudor table detail

Classical carved chairs with cherubs in oak by Mansbendel

Classical carved chairs with cherubs in oak by Mansbendel

Cherub Detail

Cherub Detail

Tudor end table by Mansbendel

Tudor end table by Mansbendel

Library table in walnut by PM

Library table in walnut by PM

Tudor floor lamp

Tudor floor lamp

Example Frame

Charles Black Library at Episcopal Seminary of the SW

Architect/Builder: Mansbendel
Year: 1926
Style: Beaux Arts and Tudor
Areas of Significance: Art, Architecture
City: Austin

Charles L. Black, an Austin based appellate lawyer, built a home on Pease Road in 1926. For him, the library was it's focal point. Peter Mansbendel was retained to carve table, chairs, fireplace mantle and shelves. The shelf work was done on location under the superintendence of 7 year old Betty Black now Mrs. Robert L. Hatchett of Houston. In 1954 the library and it's furnishings were reestablished in the Episcopal Seminary of the SW as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Black. It is also believed the ironwork is Weigl.

Photos © 2005 Episcopal Seminary of the SW. Posted with permission
Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy  | © 2012 Texas Woodcarver. All rights reserved. | PO Box 270120 | Flower Mound, TX 75027-0120 | Ph 972.874.3677