Built in 1933 to be Austin’s first permanent public library, it served the public as the main library until 1979. Today it is known as the Austin History Center, and it contains local historical collections about the City of Austin, Travis County and it’s people. The building is a 1933 limestone structure designed by Hugo Kuehne in the Italian Renaissance style. (Mr. Kuehne was Founding Dean of the UT School of Architecture)
The building, is located at 810 Guadalupe Street, in downtown Austin and occupies a half-block site overlooking Wooldridge Park. The library, was remodeled in 1959 and renovated in 1983. It is a Texas historic landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It features the work of some of Austin’s finest craftsman, including Iron-worker Fortunat Weigl, Wood-Carver Peter Mansbendel, and Fresco Arist Harold “Bubi” Jenkins. The Mansbendel family also donated a beautiful large relief of Stephen F. Austin in walnut to the city of Austin in the 1970’s that Peter had carved in 1939 and it hangs in the main reading room tab the AHC..