Charles L. Black, an Austin based appellate lawyer, built a home on Pease Road in 1926. For him, the library was its focal point. Peter Mansbendel was retained to carve a Tudor style library table, baroque chairs, fireplace mantle and shelves. The shelf work was done on location in 1926, was under the superintendence of 7 year old Betty Black who used to direct Peter Mansbendel and other craftsman, all to their amusement. In 1954, the library and it’s furnishings were re-established in the Episcopal Seminary of the SW as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Black. It is also believed the ironwork in the library is Weigl Iron Works. The library was originally named the Charles L. Black Library but is now know as the Booher Library at ESSW.
CHARLES L. BLACK
© 2023 ·Petermansbendel.com-All rights reserved