John Chiles bought this home located at 1606 West Avenue (now razed) in 1912 from Judge John Brady. Brady built the home for himself in 1912, but realized the house was too large and sold it to Chiles shortly thereafter. John H. Chiles was born in Selma, Alabama, moved to Elgin, Texas with his parents at the age of two, was educated in Georgetown, and began his business career in Austin. Prior to 1900, Chiles owned and operated a railroad line from the city to the first Austin dam, and operated recreational facilities near the dam. In 1899, he married the granddaughter of Governor Andrew Jackson Hamilton. Some of the Chiles’ furniture had belonged to the Governor.
Chiles owned and operated Chiles Pharmacy Store at Sixth & Congress, where the Scarbrough Building is now located, for 20 years. He sold drugs to the Blind and Deaf Schools and was a very prosperous man. He was also the director and vice president of Austin National Bank, and the president of Austin White Lime Company until he retired in the mid-1930s and sold his interest to Alfred Robinson. Chiles lived in this home until his death in 1963. Peter Mansbendel carved trim in the interior, including a floral piece over the mantle – one of very few he created with color.